The Old Miner’s host the Big Bear Chili Cook-Off is July 14th! Over 40 chili cooks come to Big Bear to compete with local cookers in this International Chili Society (ICS) sanctioned cook-off, each hoping to be the winner and go on to the all-California competition. Four categories will be judged: red chili, green chili, salsa, and people’s choice.
THURSDAY July 12
– 7:30PM Big Bear Discovery Center Night Hike – start at Serrano campground kiosk. Have to call Thursday morning to see if spots are available.
FRIDAY July 13
– Unplanned day for hiking or lake activities!
– 7PM Calcutta Dinner & Chili Booth Auction at Wyatt’s Cafe & Saloon! Cost is $10 and regular menu prices apply for beverages and appetizers, plus any bidding you do 😉 Bid in a live auction on the winning chili team that will compete the following day at the Big Bear Chili Cook-Off in the Village Bartlett Parking Lot. The person who buys the winning chili team splits the pot of dough with the chili champions!
SATURDAY July 14
– 9AM-11AM kayaking with guides from the Big Bear Nature Center 🙂
– 10AM Chili Festival starts
– 12PM I arrive at the Chili Festival 🙂 – Admission is free, for the chili enthusiast there is a $3 fee for a tasting kit which I anticipate you might have to buy more than once depending on how much you enjoy chili!
– 7PM Brent Payne and Dakota concert $10 or suggest another venue for us to enjoy!
SUNDAY July 15 – Open day for morning hike before returning home
EVENT LOCATION and details:
- For information, contact Lucy Hokanson at (909) 436-9145, I think she works at the Convention Center.
- There’s still an opportunity to do some cooking so grab an application from here or bigbearchilicookoff.com.
- Admission to the chili cook off is free to all wishing to attend; however, for the chili enthusiast, there is a $3 fee for a tasting kit.
- Remember to visit the Big Bear Visitor Center, at 630 Bartlett Road, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315. This event is not held here but it’s a nice area to explore!
- The event will be at the Convention Center: 42900 Big Bear Blvd., Big Bear Lake, CA, 92315, at the corner of Big Bear Boulevard and Division Drive
- Tickets for the Brent Payne and Dakota concert are now on sale. Click Here. Tickets are $10.
- Enjoy the second annual Carnival with rides and games from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the same location. Presale tickets are $15 weekdays and $25 weekends. On the day of the event tickets will be $25 weekdays and $35 weekends. For tickets, visit www.OldMiners.org and click on the spinning Ferris Wheel.
If you’ve got a mountain-sized appetite and the chili isn’t doing the job, the Convention Center’s own Wyatt’s Restaurant (909) 585-3000 will be serving up great grub, and there’s a full bar.
To round out the day, following the Cook Off, the Association is proud to present Brent Payne and Dakota in concert for a Boot Scootin’ Barn Dance good time.
Payne hits The Convention Center stage at 7 p.m.
Brent Payne has opened for numerous musical artists including: Garth Brooks; Willie Nelson; Buck Owens; 38 Special; Charlie Daniels; Lee Greenwood; Vince Gil; Randy Travis; BJ Thomas and Asleep at the Wheel.
Fresh from Las Vegas, this act covers every avenue of the music industry from jazz, classic rock, oldies, country and rhythm and blues. This artist and group will electrify the audience no matter what age. Las Vegas magazine “Show Biz Weekly” said: “This is exactly what Fremont Street needed. This group stops the foot traffic in their tracks and in a town like this that’s hard to accomplish.”
Dakota is a seasoned group with six professionals from every walk of life. Their musical influences run deep and include Irish, Classical, and very deep rooted Jazz. You couple that with a country boy from Oklahoma and you wind up with a very unique sound. For more about Brent Payne and Dakota, visit http://www.brentpayne.com.